Chief Engineer 2
Sodexo Healthcare Facilities Management Services Account providing operations, maintenance repairs and minor construction for a large and growing urban campus including the Sharp Memorial Hospital and the Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Newborns. The two hospitals and the Outpatient Pavilion account for 39 operating rooms, a full suite of advanced diagnostic and treatment equipment and over 850 licensed patient beds within 1.1 million square feet of healthcare facilities. Department operates a Central Plant providing Steam, Chilled Water, Emergency Power and 12 KV Normal Power Distribution.
Plans, directs, and coordinates activities concerned with maintenance, repair, design, modification, and replacement of equipment and machinery in hospital facilities by upholding responsibilities and performing duties personally or through subordinates. Under limited supervision, directs, supervises, and monitors the Engineering operation and maintenance staff. Ensures efficient and reliable operation of all machinery, electrical and plumbing systems within the hospital campus. Assists in the formulation of plans, policies and procedures to implement or comply with The Joint Commission standards, regional directives, applicable codes and good hospital engineering practice.
- Maintains and develops client relationships and client satisfaction in custodial services to ensure account
- Fulfills contractual obligations to the
- Plans projects, including defining objectives, methods, timetables and budget to support client and Sodexo strategic
- Accountable for the execution of service quality by maintaining highest level of
- Plans, organizes and supervises assigned activities of the Engineering & Maintenance Department and services functions, which are necessary in maintaining the physical structures, HVAC, mechanical, electrical systems, and utilities and grounds of the hospital in an operative and safe working condition.
- Plan and maintain an effective organization by administering labor and material controls, safety training of maintenance personnel in operations and maintenance of all buildings, structures, and equipment.
- Establishes standards and policies for pollution control, installation, modification, quality control, testing, operating procedure, inspection, and maintenance of equipment.
- Directs maintenance of plant buildings, quality control, testing, operating procedure, inspection, and maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinates requirements for new designs, surveys, and maintenance schedules for equipment and machinery.
- Prepares scope of work, methods of procedures, bid sheets and contracts for equipment acquisition and installation.
- Provides training and in-service programs for all engineering staff to ensure safe and effective operation of all physical plant equipment and compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Tests newly installed machines and equipment to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications.
- Assists the Director of Facility Operations or designee in preparing budgets, planning, renovation projects, and other projects as determined by the Director of Facility Operations or designee.
- Supervisory responsibilities: Manages subordinate leads in Plant Operations, HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing trades.
- Responsible for overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these shops.
- Also directly supervises non-supervisory engineers, mechanics, electricians and plumbers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Sodexo policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing and hiring and training incumbents, planning assigning and directing work, praising performance, rewarding and disciplining incumbents, and addressing complaints and resolving problems subject to management approval.
- Administers and supervises the predictive and preventive maintenance programs to ensure the uninterrupted operation of the entire hospital, monitoring its application to assure maximum effectiveness and provides appropriate documentation.
- Develops and participates in the orientation of new employees and the continuing education of department employees in the repair and maintenance of all equipment. Instructs personnel regarding hazards and safety to ensure safe procedures and safe use of equipment.
- Ensures staff work is compliant with all safety codes, building codes and operating process.
- Monitors departmental personnel matters and makes recommendations, such as selection, training, promotion, discipline, and termination. Supervises scheduling of department personnel. Manages personnel issues to the Director for final disposition.
- Participates in the development and applications of standards of quality and productivity for the Engineering Department. Supervises and directs Engineering Department personnel in the use of policies, procedures and standards of work performance for maintenance and repair of equipment, buildings, and building systems.
- Reports daily to the Director or his designee regarding the physical and structural conditions of hospital facilities and the status of work in progress.
- Responsible for maintaining repair and replacement records to keep within the projected budget. Provides input to the Director or his designee of projected costs and budget requirements.
- Responsible for operating budget of both salary and materials services of assigned programs and areas.
- Schedules and supervises maintenance repair work, alterations, remodeling, and minor construction and checks out installation and servicing of mechanical and electrical equipment and building systems.
- Works closely with other departments and administration, negotiates priorities, plans work schedules, and makes job assignments, place orders for materials, supplies and parts. Recommends use of outside specialty contractors as necessary.
- Manage hazardous materials storage and hazardous waste accumulation and disposal in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Performs other related duties.
Knowledge/Skills: Personal computer skills. Word processing software (MSWord/WordPerfect). Spreadsheet/database software (Excel). English reading, verbal, and writing skills. Ability to interact successfully with executive leaders, management, physicians, nurses and staff. Ability to work independently, problem solve, and manage multiple priorities. Strong central plant skills, daily operations of building management system, computerized equipment, inventory/equipment management systems and standby emergency power systems. ATS, main medical gas distribution and alarm monitoring systems, main electrical distribution systems, boilers, steam supply/condensate systems, DX /chilled water systems, pneumatic controls and transportation distribution systems, and life safety support systems.
- Education or Equivalent Experience: Associates Degree.
- Supervisor/Managerial Experience: 5 years management
- Function Specific Experience: 3-5 years supervisory experience in a hospital setting, 10-15 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience in hospital building maintenance and construction management.
- HVAC operations and Building Automation System programing
- Previous Chief Engineer or Director of Engineering in a hospital setting.
- solid understanding of all phases of hospital engineering - plumbing, electrical, HVAC certified, certified in boiler maintenance, preventative maintenance, etc. able to effectively delegate work and tasks to subordinates to ensure the smooth operation of the central plant and hospital facilities.
- Experience coordinating workflow of a minimum of 10 employees and managing operations, maintenance, repairs & projects.
- Technical Knowledge: The Joint Commission Standards (EC, LS, IP), CMS Conditions of Participation, NFPA, CA Building Codes, OSHA. Knowledge of IBM Maximo highly preferred. Knowledge of hospital mechanical systems, including utility management and control system, HVAC systems, medical gases, electrical distribution, emergency power, fire protection/alarm system. Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Certifications/License: Boiler, HVAC/Refrigeration or Master Electrician; CHFM, CPMM, EIT or P.E.